Saturday, August 2nd
We arrived yesterday. Bess and Brenda (missionaries in Mexico City) have challenged us to ask the Lord to give us eyes to see Him in the various individuals we will meet throughout our visit through the eyes of Matt 25:31-46. The community of Christ followers we have come alongside to encourage have asked us to spend one on one time with the children within their community to affirm in them who God is and who they are in light of being created in God's image. Most of the children are in a place of poverty whether it be physical, emotional and/or spiritual. We have been divided into two groups at an amusement park/farm. The idea was to provide an opportunity for the children to explore and discover and as they are discovering to make connections for the children...example - while petting a sheep for the first time to affirm how tender and gentle God is and since they are created in His image they have the capacity to be tender..or while zip lining affirm to the child God is trust worthy like the harness holding them. Throughout the day there were surprises for the children...a snack and an encouraging lesson. Then in the evening we had a sleep over and watched a movie with a family within the community.
Holding two little hands in mine...running toward new discoveries...watching little faces. Catching eyes full of excitement..little arms wrapped around my neck so tightly its almost suffocating. I remind myself why I am here. To lavish love...to humble myself. I may be looking at poverty and innocence...lack of innocence...loneliness and hopelessness..but I have much to learn..I am not so different..I experience poverty of spirit, loneliness and hopelessness. Am I meeting these little eyes with pity or with pure unadulterated love. When was the last time I looked in the mirror and made eye contact with Joanna. Who do I know God is? Who is Joanna in light of whose image I was created in? Snuggled up on a cement floor. Listening to the sounds of sleep around me, I am thankful. I know who my Creator is.
He created the little hands that held mine. If I can be this excited to see a new discovery be made on these little faces and these children are not even my own...how excited must our Creator be excited for each of us to discover Him in all His depth and length and height and revel in experiencing His creation with Him.
Wednesday, August 6, 2014
Day #2 From the eyes of Joanna Putnam
Labels:
#jolgMexicoCity
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment